Monday to Friday - 9 - 5pm
T: 020 7426 3880
Out of hours:
M: 07973 372587
Please note these numbers are only for media enquiries. If you need help with homelessness or other issues please visit our 'Get help' section.
“We warmly welcome the news know that the government is considering extending private renters’ contracts to three years. Losing a private tenancy is one of the main causes of homelessness, so this would be a hugely important step forward to help give stability to thousands of people across the country.
Responding to the statistics, Jon Sparkes, Chief Executive of Crisis, said: “While it is encouraging to see the overall number of rough sleepers in London has gone down, it is unacceptable that thousands of people in London found themselves going from a settled home to sleeping on the streets last year.
Responding to the figures, Jon Sparkes, Crisis Chief Executive, said: “While we welcome steps the Government has taken around preventing homelessness, today’s figures are a stark reminder that there are still far too many people who are homeless and stuck in temporary accommodation or being placed in sub-standard and sometimes dangerous B&Bs.
“Today’s announcement is a hugely positive step that underlines the Government’s commitment to ending rough sleeping by 2027. As our own Housing First study in Liverpool has found, for the most vulnerable rough sleepers and other homeless people, the best approach is to support them into a stable home of their own as soon as possible and provide them with individually tailored support to help them to stay there.
Moving all homeless people out of unsuitable temporary accommodation, such as bed and breakfasts or unsupported hostels, after seven days could save £29m in public money this year alone.
“These figures are a devastating reminder that rough sleeping is beyond dangerous – it’s deadly, and it’s claiming more and more lives each year. Those sleeping on our streets are exposed to everything from sub-zero temperatures, to violence and abuse, and fatal illnesses."
Today, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have announced that Crisis will be one of seven charities personally chosen by the couple to benefit from donations in lieu of wedding gifts for their upcoming nuptials.